Tuesday, January 20, 2009

teary eyed

i have watched a decent amount of the inauguration today of president obama.  and for some reason, i keep tearing up!!  i hate politics mostly, and really don't pay much attention to a lot of it.....i couldn't tell you where politicians stand on certain issues or anything.  but there is something momentous about this day that just keeps getting me all teary.  when i think about the suffering that so many black people have gone through in this country because of stupid, racist white people it gets me so mad and upset.....but then to know that our country now has a black president is just incredible.  i have enjoyed hearing the news people talk of martin luther king jr and his "dream" and vision for what this country could be......and seeing a little bit of that dream realized today was just historical.  i know that we have a long way to go to get rid of all racism in this country, but to know that enough people of all races voted for president obama is just really cool, i think.    

2 comments:

Holls of Grigs said...

points at which i cried: aretha. obama. joseph lowry. bush flying away.

Sarah Little said...

I too was crying, and I am glad to know I wasn't alone. I think the part that made me cry the hardest, (aside from the swearing in of both Biden and Obama, and the Bushs flying away) was when they would show the shots of the older black women in the crowd. For those who had to experience the terror of the Civil Rights movement, and be able to watch President Obama be sworn in... that was just really intense to me. I do love politics though.