Tuesday, April 27, 2010

diary of a knee




so i figured i'd use my blog to keep track of my progress with my knee. here's a recap:
-8 years old, knee pain/giving out
-high school - diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans; told to stop playing sports if i wanted it to stop hurting; did not stop playing sports....it didn't hurt THAT bad
-college to present - continued playing sports and just dealing with a bum knee
-january 25, 2010 - flat out tripped running full speed playing intramural basketball, landed right on my right knee; took myself out of the game and iced when i got home
-february 5, 2010 - woke up with a hugely swollen knee and figured i must have done something to it
-2/5-2/12 - went to physical therapy to try to get rid of swelling and figure out what was wrong
-2/19 - appt. with dr. winn at MOC; ordered MRI
-2/24 - MRI
-3/2 - appt. with dr. winn to review MRI....told me he didn't feel confident dealing with my problem, referred me to dr. mathien/dr. rappe' (now getting concerned that it's not just something minor)
-3/5 - appt. with dr. rappe'; showed me my MRI and told me i would need to have an osteoarticular allograft done (see pics); took all hope of anything minor and threw it out the window
-3/11 - appt. with dr. mathien/dr. rappe' to ask any/all questions about the procedure; i took 2 pages of questions with me; dr. mathien took a lot of time to explain everything and made me feel very confident that i was in good hands; now just waiting for a donor bone; insurance already approved procedure
-4/21 - received a call from KOC, donor bone has been received; scheduled surgery for may 6

will update after surgery on my progress....was told initially that i will be 2 months non-weight bearing/full range of motion; crutches and toned arms, here i come.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just diagnosed with knee OCD and have been trolling the internet for info. Surgery is imminent. I'm definitely interested in your recovery progression. Thanks for the info.
-Deane

Unknown said...

deane - sorry about the OCD....let me know if you have questions, i'm more than happy to help! do you know if they'll do microfracture or OATS or something different? good luck to you!!

Anonymous said...

I'll know quite a bit more next week. Have an appt with a surgeon here in Boston who is based out of Childrens Hospital. At 40 years old, I feel fortunate they were willing to see me.

Unknown said...

deane - i'd love to know what you find out if you'll keep me posted. between now and then, if you think of any questions that i might be able to answer just let me know!

Anonymous said...

Nice update! Sounds like you're on the right track. Got more info. Feel free to email me - deane1969@excite.com and I share the latest.

Anonymous said...

Nice update. It sounds like you're on the right track. I found out some more info today. If you'd like, email me at
deane1969@excite.com and I'll give you the details.