Friday, April 3, 2009

how do you do it?

my life seems crazy busy.  lately i have felt like there's not enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be done.  so generally, i feel lousy because i'm not doing GREAT at much of anything......there is always a pile of laundry to be washed or put away; that one year bible thing?  yeah, always reading extra to catch up; bathrooms clean?  no, not really; dog fed?  sometimes....i usually DO remember, but sometimes i'm a little late;  on time anywhere?  nope.  i'm officially a blackburn (and being late is my #1 pet peave....sigh); exercising?  wait a minute - what is that?

how do you do it?  how do you keep up with all that motherhood and a full-time job require and feel like you're doing it all WELL?  things are always being neglected - like blogging...defintiely not a top priority, obviously, cleaning the bathrooms, quite time with Jesus, quality time with Dustin, the never-ending laundry......it could just go on and on!!!  and, of course, i wouldn't trade my children for anything in the world - but this motherhood thing definitely ain't for sissies.  i guess the responsibility of it all just gets overwhelming at times - and i want to do the best that i can....but sometimes my best isn't very good, and i hate that.  your advise?  how do you do it?  

4 comments:

Keepin Up With the Cats said...

well, I'll bet you never expected to open this and see klepper's comments...but here I am. Am i allowed to be on here?! I was just reading our cat blog and bowing to Byrd's wishes about deciding a time :) and saw your comment - yes, please come! Then I thought I'd click on your pic to see it bigger and up popped your blog! How cool! so...i thought i'd respond to your questions. and the answer is: i don't do any of that motherhood stuff you do (sounds totally overwhelming and i admire you immensely) and i still basically feel that same way. i leave the house at 6:30am for school, pour myself out for twelve year olds all day, get home at 5 if i'm lucky...always more to clean, phone calls to be made, stuff laying around, food to cook or get, spend time with eric, not neglect friends, quiet time, exercise?? i'm with ya! on my better days i just realize that I will never 'arrive' of having everything on my list done...and that my life is miserable when i keep striving for that instead of just realizing the ebb and flow of life and as much as we think it should be different...maybe it just isn't. as long as the main things stay the main things, i guess the rest needs to be let go. but my desires to 'get it all done' die a slow death. i'll be watching your blog to see who can give both of us some advice. love ya, nyssa. and miss you - hope to see you soon.

Stephanie Karnes said...

i don't know what kind of advice to give, but just want to say, "I FEEL YA!!!" i struggle with this on a daily basis. yeh, that one year bible thing...i finally finished march yesterday. i've wondered how you are doing with yours. i can totally relate at feeling "mediocre" at everything...and not great at anything. i am constantly picking up, doing dishes, laundry, getting groceries (normally with 3 kids!). i feel like i can't get into a good routine cause each day is different and something may throw us off...which is fine, but then it's hard to stick with a certain schedule. i'm flexible...i can deal with that, it's just that i feel my life has no order. yes, motherhood is definitely NOT for sissies...and it's never-ending!! God bless us all!!! there are too many days that go by that i don't just sit and play with the kids and enjoy them and teach them things...and i feel i will regret that one day...but each day goes by and i do nothing about it...WHY?? i really need to get things together and seriously work on some things in my life and prioritize. i'm glad i'm not the only one struggling. i'm worn out to pieces each day...it's a hard life, but you know we wouldn't trade it for anything!! i love you guys and can't wait to spend time with you soon!!

Mrs. Jake said...

I don't! HA!


There is always things to do. I have had to learn to be okay with a messy house. (And I not always okay with it - there are still melt down days)

Monica gave me some advice onetime and I kinda like it. She said, "only clean the rooms people will see." So, I do. Plus, it will get easier as the girls get bigger. Emma and Abbie can now do laundry and help vacuum and help dust.

Mrs. Jake said...

okay, I'm a teacher...I meant, there ARE always things to do. Not is. Jeez...I think my mind is on summer break!